Calla Lillie's were "especially popular since (they) could be made to bloom all year around in the southern to centre parts of Europe using simple greenhouses. It was a flower that could be grown even when the sky seemed dark."

Apr 3, 2012

Something New~



So, while at World Market in our small town  I came across Lotus Root! I am trying everyday to learn something new, or try something new. Today this would be my "something new." I began by washing, peeling and then slicing the root into about 1/8 in thick chips.




After slicing and an initial rinse, I set the root slices in a bowl of cool water, and a splash of  lemon juice to prevent discoloration. Full of fiber and other nutrients, the best way to think of the consistency is like that of a Potato.





Lotus root (renkon in Japanese) is  a popular vegetable throughout southern and eastern Asia. Having a bitter taste, it should not be eaten raw. Most of the bitter taste is in the skin so peeling the root and cooking it will fix this issue. 


*It is said that young Lotus Root may be eaten raw.


Lotus Root may be prepared in many ways like stir fry, cut up in stews or soups and even (when slightly cooked) as a salad topper!


 I prepared mine as chips. After soaking in lemon juice and water for this recipe, I set the oven to 450 degrees and put on a pot of water to boil. When the water had boiled, I cut the heat off and added some salt to the pot. I dropped the root discs into the water and let them stand for about 3-4 mins.  I then took the discs out and placed them between paper towels. I lightly coated a non stick pan with olive oil and coated each side of the root slices with the oil.  I then coated the slices on both sides with a mixture of salt and cayenne pepper. Spread them on the baking sheet and bake for 20-22 mins. I turned them once half way while baking.



The best ones are crisp around the edges and slightly chewy in the center, be careful not to over bake.  Enjoy in place of regular chips!














No comments:

Post a Comment