Calla Lillie's were "especially popular since (they) could be made to bloom all year around in the southern to centre parts of Europe using simple greenhouses. It was a flower that could be grown even when the sky seemed dark."

May 7, 2012

Kale Chips~

I had heard of 'Kale Chips' and in my quest to become healthier, eat healthier and LIVE healthier, I am continually searching for better alternatives to the over processed, over salted and just plain overdone foods that are being pushed in our direction daily. Here's today's "Something New:












I began by searching for the best kale I could find. Luckily, we have an Oasis World Market that carries unique and fresh produce that had a fresh batch in stock~















Simply beautiful, healthy green leaves! Washed them well and placed them out on paper towels to dry-











I tore the leaves into bite size pieces and coated the leaves lightly in the olive oil.





I had received a bottle of  good Organic Sabtino Olive Oil (infused with natural white Truffle Flavour) as a Christmas gift, and I just had to try a bit on half of the beautiful leaves! Delish!

*I also used a good extra virgin olive oil as well on the other half bag. They were yummy as well~







* Note: I used about a tablespoon of good olive oil and salted them just a bit, tossed and placed in a single layer onto parchment paper. I baked them at 250 for about 20 mins, keeping a closed eye so they don't overcook. Turn them half way through cooking time just once-









The baked product:












Lunchtime sandwich side instead of greasy chips....Enjoy!






*Some nutritional information from "MyFitnessPal" :  1 cup, Calories: 43. Fat: 1.3g, Carbs: 7.3 g, Protein: 2.5g. 


*Oven Roasting doesn't affect the level of Vit. K contained in the Kale, and even though some of the beta carotene and Vit. C are baked away in the roasting process, they still retain some of these nutrients! 











No comments:

Post a Comment